I’ve produced a new version of SNYS, 0.2, with the following changes:
- Version checking at startup, with the option to download now or later, or skip a version.
- Logging information to ~/Library/Logs/Simplenote Yojimbo Sync.log, which is the primary purpose of this version, to get some more debugging information for the people for whom it doesn’t seem to work. If you are one of these people, please leave a comment or get in touch with me on the Yojimbo or Simplenote API lists.
- A couple of little coding improvements which probably aren’t very interesting to most people, but which you can see if you’d like to open the bundle and peer at the scripts.
There is also now a dedicated project page for this, which will always contain a link to the latest version, so you should go there to download it.
Planned future improvements
- It’s been suggested that the app have an option to sync with the simpletext.ws website used by Writeroom as well as or instead of Simplenote. I think this is a good idea, as there is an API and also I do own a copy of Writeroom for the iPhone, and it shouldn’t be very hard to just change the method of finding notes, but I’ll make sure the basic sync structure works for everyone first.
- I find it a bit counter-intuitive that deleting a note on one platform doesn’t delete it on the other one and in fact re-syncs it next time unless you delete it on both. However, again, until I’m sure the basic sync structure works for everyone, I’m going to keep it like that, because it minimises the chance of data loss. Once that’s sorted out, I plan to fix it so that deleting a note deletes it on both.
- There needs to be an automatic sync option. At the moment you could use something like Lingon to run it, but that isn’t a very user-friendly method. Unfortunately, adding this feature is complicated by the fact that I have no idea how to do it. I’m sure it can’t be that hard.